Thursday, March 15, 2012

"When In (or Going To) Rome"

 

You may not believe me (especially because of this one post I wrote), but I really don't buy clothes.

I hate shopping, actually.  I have one pair of jeans which I wear with a varied assortment of 6-year-old undershirts and a few 5-year-old sweaters/tops.  How do I know this?  I know this because all of the shirts I wear have H&M tags and the last time I went to H&M was when I lived in Boston.*  So there.

I have three coats.  This may sound excessive.  But, I got two of them for free from roommates that didn't want them (six and eight years ago) and another black winter coat that my mom bought for me seven years ago. They are used for cold weather and really cold weather.  Spring weather is what hoodies are for.

Two pairs of boots (bored yet?):  one waterproof pair for rainy days, one lined pair for snowy or freezing cold days.  Three pairs of flats that I abuse horribly in the summer by never wearing socks and wearing them every single day everywhere.  They are, as some would say, "shot."

I'm usually cool with this arrangement.  When my cardigans get holes in the seams, I sew them.  When my undershirts get holes in them, I keep them unless the holes fall in places that are actually seen.  When my socks get holes in them, I darn them.  ("Darn those socks!" I mutter, while I darn.) When my jeans get holes in them...I just buy a new pair of jeans.  I'm not that crazy!

HOWEVER!

We are going to Italy.  For ten days.  And dash it all if I was going to have immortalized pictures of me taken at the Trevi fountain in that light blue coat (that, can I just say, has always smelled weird) and those previously-white-now-brown-grey-shoes.  I would always look at those pictures and think, "Hey!  Remember that time...yeahhhhh that coat just smelled odd."

So, I just thought I'd let you know about a monumental event that happened in my life on Monday, when I went to Zara and spent two hours actually trying on clothes (WHAT?!) and deciding to buy some new things.  Granted, nothing I got was too incredibly cutting-edge. (Nope, I didn't get "those shoes.")  But I did get a few new, non-holy undershirts, a shirt with this spring's "color" in it (highlighter-yellow, if you must know), a pair of back-up jeans, and a light trenchcoat that doesn't smell weird that I can wear in spring weather (no hoodie for me in Rome!).

Can I just tell you, having not really ever budgeted for something like clothes before...ever..., that clothes seem really, absurdly expensive to me?  And I may have kept them in a pile in the living room for three days so I could stare at them and say things like, "I'm going to return these tomorrow" to Paul, every ten seconds? 

But, then I tried them on again, realized that I did, in fact, spend two hours of my life in a dressing room determining if they would be useful and worth it, and decided that I actually could keep them.

Baby steps.

Also, green jeans are always worth it.  



*I realized this was a lie after I wrote it.  I went to H&M here to buy a sweater one time.  I also bought Paul some thermal underwear there for Christmas.  I confess.



2 comments:

  1. If you can pull off dressing like an Italian, I will forever be in awe of you. When we were there, complexion-wise we totally could've blended in (in the North anyway), but our wardrobe gave us away every single time. Mark's cargo shorts and non-skin-tight polo shirts just screamed "AMERICAN!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. A pair of jeans and a hoodie or T-shirt was always good enough for college, grad school, and even teaching at SWOCC. When I first started subbing, I bought precisely two "grown up" outfits so that I could alternate them. But now, I'm student teaching and in a classroom four days a week. I had to buy more "grown up" clothes. And shoes. And actually spend about twenty minutes on my hair and makeup before I leave in the morning (up from 20 seconds in grad school). I never realized how much time and money it takes to look decent!

    ReplyDelete

Send a Dispatch to Headquarters! (Really, please do. We like comments!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...