Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Your Fashion Guru with a Prophecy

I wasn't always this trendy
Unfashionable Heidi is unfashionable.  So they say.

But I have a sure-fire way for me to predict what the latest trend is going to be in the states come next fall or even Spring 2013 (depending on where you live).  It's the same sure-fire way I predicted ballet flats and skinny jeans way back in 2004.

Step 1: Live in Europe.
Step 2: Observe.
Step 3: Pick out the things that a minority of "put together" people are wearing that look completely and utterly ridiculous to you.
Step 4: Tell everyone in the states (who will no doubt not believe you at first) that this is the next best thing.

See, believe it or not, I was in London when Mango and Zara and the boutique shops in Chelsea were selling their, as I called them from my mother's vocabulary, "peg-leg jeans" and flimsy-lookin' metallic and brightly colored ballet flats.  I thought it was the most horrifically confusing look anyone had ever put together.

"Who wears bright blue shoes with weird elasticky tops for heaven's sake?!" I thought, dweebishly.

I knew that I would feel like a dweebish dork from nerdland trying to pull it off (and that's the ticket right there.  When I say "I will look like a dweeb" that's your cue to go and buy that thing right at this very moment).

Because, you see, 2004 was the era of boot-cut jeans, long levi skirts, dainty versions of sneakers, and brown-leather cloggy boots.  I could pull that off because everyone else already had!  Safe.  I'm good at safe.

The skinny jeans and the ballet flats I just couldn't get behind in 2004 because it was, you know, risky.   BUT, in a fit of complete Bacchanalian insanity ("I'm in Europe I'm going to be craaaazzyyy!"), I actually bought and brought home a pair of black, beaded ballet flats from Europe and lo and behold, they became the coolest thing I ever owned within three months.

People stopped me on the street to ask me where I got them.  I was, like, straight outta the Utah version of The Sartorialist. (is that an oxymoron?)   Superstaaaaar!

So, I'm here to prophesy the next big American trend.  You doubty doubters may doubt, but I'm telling you. This is a thing!  It is a thing that my friend Geraldine from France is wearing and GERALDINE is from FRANCE you hear me?  

Ready?  Here it is!  Straight from the Zara's mouth:

Yeup.

Something that looks very, very much like a men's dress shoe is the next thing over there, guys.

I'm so serious.  I'm so deadly serious.

And you wear them with skinny jeans, please.  Or even a skirt in the summer if ya like.    Oh, and don't show sock.  That is not acceptable.

I know.  I see this and I think
"I WILL LOOK LIKE A DWEEB!"
(really loud.  Like a really, really loud scream.)
But.  That's your cue, people.
(zara.com)
I have Prophesied.  Go in Peace.
(from rockstardiaries)

5 comments:

  1. Ew. I hope you are wrong, though I doubt you are. You are the purple polka-dotted fashion prophet, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I kind of still think that skinny jeans and ballet flats look ridiculous (unless one happens to be a size -2). And those oxford-y things only look slightly more ridiculous? But I am not exactly a fashion maven considering a good portion of my closet includes things I have worn for half a decade or more. And I practically never go shopping. And I don't start thinking new fashions look acceptable until they are safely on their way out. But I think we can all agree that it's high time the purple jumpsuit came back.

    PS - Welcome to Pinterest! Yet another black hole for internet time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I go over, I always stock up on magazines so I know what to buy in six months when the US catches up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that has already happened! I own shoes like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annette: You're hipster. Doesn't count.

    Amy: I knowwww. But, see Annette's comment. It's cooooming....

    Dani: Skinny jeans, they are an art. But as for ballet flats--I hope they always stay in style. After beaded pair #1, I've never looked back.

    Cadence: I'll mail you some. They're in German though...so you might not be able to know if they're saying "DON'T wear this" vs. "Wear this NOW!"

    I may or may not have run into similar problems...

    ReplyDelete

Send a Dispatch to Headquarters! (Really, please do. We like comments!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...