Tuesday, February 28, 2012

When I Grow Up


Prepare to be a little bit bored.

Today I woke up, had a cup of tea with Paul, and sent him out the door to work.  Then I turned to my laptop and giggled.  Giggled at my laptop.

Because I was so excited to write a memo.  Are you following me?  I was psyched-out to write a one-page memo (which, coincidentally, turned into three pages and I do not apologize) about a Gantt Chart.

All I'm really trying to say is that I think I've found that magic end of the rainbow world where you say, "Shoot! I love this stuff!  I want to work on this.  All day long!" and you aren't even being a little bit sarcastic.

Until I found this place, this thing, I always thought that everything in the world could be interesting, if you let it, and that everything in the world would be annoying, inevitably--that work would always have parts that you hated or suffered through, with bits of warm fuzzies to keep you going.

But, I'm telling you all, right now, this very minute, that I found the thing!  I found the thing that I love to do and it's all warm fuzzies all the time!  I didn't think this kind of thing could even technically exist in this universe, but it does!

And here's the weird part-- even when everyone else in the world may see some particular component of this thing as annoying, I see it as interesting!  Even when everyone else wants to bang their heads against a wall for other parts of the thing, I just want to sit down and never get up till I figure those same things out (and I might bang my head against the wall too--but it would be for fun).

I just read an e-mail, taking about some possibilities for this thing that I may be able to work on in the future aaaaand I did a dance about it.  Yes I did.

I wonder if there is a thing for everyone in the world--and the trick is just to find it?  That's the hard part.  Finding the thing.  Because it can be scary to leave the other, not as fun, things that you're doing right now that feel comfortable--because you're not sure if, when you leave that comfortable place, that you'll even find the right thing in the end.

But, people, you have to try.  Because having the thing is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a Dispatch to Headquarters! (Really, please do. We like comments!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...