Monday, June 13, 2011

Chocolate: A Cautionary Tale

When we were in Berlin last month, Paul and I discovered a magical place called Fassbender and Rausch.  Well, I say "discovered" but it was actually more of a "sought desperately to find" since we had read in a travel guide that good old F&R had an exploding chocolate volcano and a "truffle bar with the largest selection in Europe."**



True Truffles.  None of that silly "a fancy mushroom" malarky.
Well, it was amazing.  We even went upstairs to the chocolate restaurant (wasn't made of chocolate, though I wouldn't have been surprised) where we got to choose from about 12 different kinds of basic hot chocolate options, excluding the toppings/flavor infusions.  And they served the hot chocolate with a glass of cold water--which was the best idea anyone ever had.

Side note:  I never could actually use hot chocolate as a meal's sole beverage.  I've seen people do it, and I just don't get it.  It made me feel validated that it was simply understood that cold water had to be served on the same plate as a mug of hot chocolate.

On our way out the door, we caved and decided to take advantage of their "select your own 8 truffles for 5 euro" deal from their massive display cases.  After walking up and down and up and down and realizing I couldn't possibly actually remember which ones I would want, I just decided to wing it.  Paul, on the other hand, had selected a single truffle that he wanted for his own--a "Lady Hamilton."

Sounds really good, doesn't it?  All decadent and mistress-of-Lord-Nelson-later-died-of-dysentery-y, huh?

So, I walk down the display cases randomly saying, "Aaaaaaaaand, I'll take that passionfruit thing aaaaaaaaaand that hazelnut thing aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that pink one right there because it just looks weird."  Meanwhile, Paul just stood in front of his Lady Hamiltons and triumphantly selected one as our magnificent souvenir finale--the last thing we bought in Germany.

We ate one truffle once a day and each day we'd set aside the Lady Hamilton because it was the chosen, cherished one.  I was pretty much convinced that the weird, pink mystery truffle was the greatest thing ever created, but of course...there was still the Lady Hamilton to try...

The great pink truffle, in native habitat

Finally, the day came when we only had our final chocolate left.  By this time, we had almost become reverential about it--this was the last of our German chocolate for four months!

I turned to Paul and said, "You take the first half of it since you chose it."  So I put it on a velvet pillow and paraded it down a cathedral nave toward Paul with a very serious expression on my face and there was incense and a boys choir and Kate Middleton--okay not really, but pretty much.

And with an equally serious expression on his face, Paul picked up the Lady Hamilton, bit straight through the middle of it, and immediately spit it right back into his hand as water exploded everywhere.

But it wasn't water...and I am not even joking when I say that we about asphyxiated from rubbing alcohol fumes.

Whatever was in that chocolate was not meant to be consumed by human beings--it was meant to be oven cleaner.

So let this be a lesson to you all:

1.  Never make deliberate decisions about anything--just go crazy and pick the weirdest stuff.
2.  Never think that being "fluent in German" will keep you from mistranslating the contents of elegantly named mini chocolate packages.  The prettier the name, the higher the alcohol percentage.


**I will never cease to be amazed at how travel books can point you to the "largest" or "biggest" anything, anywhere.  But, I don't really have any way to disprove their claims, so I just roll with it.  But, I mean, wouldn't you be skeptical if you were in a city with restaurants that had both the largest chocolate selection and largest dessert selection in the entirety of Europe?  I'd think that France would have something to say about that...

6 comments:

  1. Living in Belgium was scarily similar in terms of chocolate...especially that time I tried (unknowingly) a champagne one and got a shot of similar fumes straight up my nose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I was waiting for it to either be heavenly or awful. I was not expecting the alcohol.

    By the way, I always drink hot chocolate with water! It makes me thirsty. So that is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story. I love your writing style. A rubbing alcohol-like chocolate does sound extremely gross. And the description of the chocolate restaurant makes me long for the day I can convince Kent to go to Europe rather than China.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smalldog: Yes, but was it sparkling up your nose?

    Danosaur: You and I must be natural Germans then--we instinctually knew the proper way to drink hot chocolate.

    Melanie: And I'll spend the rest of my life trying to convince Paul that we could visit China and not **fill in the blank some sort of stereotype about any foreign country that isn't Europe or Canada**. No, Paul, you won't get a tapeworm. No, Paul, you won't get kidnapped by a drug cartel. Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the story! You really do have a wonderful writing style!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Thanks Laura! I like reading about your family--especially your hilarious kiddos!

    ReplyDelete

Send a Dispatch to Headquarters! (Really, please do. We like comments!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...