Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Things I Will Miss: My Work

I'm really going to miss my job!

I can get over missing things like ... oh ... deodorant.  I can make do without English-speaking television.  I can push through and persevere in a place that doesn't give you a glass of water for free with your meal.  I can survive on 5% milk if I have to.  I can live without a car, or a kitchen-aid, or hulu (maybe), or anything remotely resembling Mexican food.


But, I'm really, REALLY going to have a hard time leaving my job.

It helps that I was going to have to leave it at the end of the month anyway--it's better that I'm not having to leave it just because Paul's moving halfway across the world.  We could have worked that one out-- had a skype marriage or a skype commute or something.  Would have totally been cool.

But, the budget cuts have spoken and I have a job seniority the size of a quark, and so I must leave my beloved double-screened, tricked out, hot-mama-tech-savvy-GIS-maven desk.  And I'll have to leave my friends--and that's the worst of all.  I've loved making friends with my coworkers--they have proven to be some of the best friends I've ever made in my entire life.

I love my job.  I love my work.  I love my boss.  I love my coworkers.  I love that stain on the carpet.  I love kayaking at 7am.  I love creating a career.  I love hating paperwork.  I love being able to help Oregon and my community and scientists and fishermen and conservationists and neighborhood groups and NOAA and the Coast Guard and Paul and me.  I've always liked working for a paycheck, but I love my particular job right now.

I just needed to say that somewhere--I'm so grateful for the work I did here and I'm determined to be able to do that same kind of work for the rest of my life.  And so I'm just going to play this one out with some good memories...

Paddling through Sloughside Pilings


Hiking around Cape Arago

Mapping all its habitats from aerial photography

And just having the chance to make such a beautiful place my "office"


Goodbye, South Slough.  I will always remember the good times--they were pretty much every day.

2 comments:

  1. You just need a vpn access for hulu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I had a vpn deal when I was at Boston U, but is there a way to get one if you aren't affiliated with a US institution? You went through Duke when you were in China right?

    ReplyDelete

Send a Dispatch to Headquarters! (Really, please do. We like comments!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...