Monday, September 8, 2014

Leipzig


In May 2012, part of our Paul-Family-German-Tour involved visiting Leipzig, a city Paul had lived in nearly ten years previous.  I have to admit that I was ignorant of all things "Leipsch" until Paul took us on an epic tour covering everything from Napoleon, to Goethe, to Bach (who, as a native of the city, is kind of a big deal there).  

First up was the Völkerschlachtdenkmal, or The Monument to the Battle of the Nations, erected 100 years after allied troops defeated Napoleon's army in 1813.  Have to say, it was pretty impressivo and quite gigantic.  Climbing the 500+ steps to the top filled my exercise quota for about a month.

We walked around on a little Paul-guided city tour that afternoon and saw the old City Hall, various interesting streets with fond memories attached, the church where Bach was organist, and finally ended up at the Auerbachs Keller restaurant, built in the 1500s and where Goethe sets a part of Faust.


Please notice my extremely weird bang comb-over and that I'm rubbing Faust's toe for luck as he is shown some sights by Mephistopheles.

I think I can safely say that this was the best meal we had on the entire two week trip.  So if you're ever in Leipzig, I can't recommend it enough,  I mean, I tried, but there are only so many recommendation websites I can submit to, you know?

Pleased Dunns


********
I'm counting down the days until my third anniversary of living in Europe by recapping trips that I never got around to highlighting.  You can see the list of trips (and links to them as they are written) here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a Dispatch to Headquarters! (Really, please do. We like comments!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...