Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tuesday/Dienstag

I always feel nervous on Tuesdays now.  I have until 3:15pm to wait around at home and get all worked up about my English lectures.  I kind of wish I taught at 8am just so I could get the nervousness over with.  It always turns out desk-knockable and fun, but still, teaching really is like putting on a one-woman show with a paying audience every single week.  And no one likes the thought of getting tomatoes thrown at them, metaphorically or otherwise.

I totally had another stress dream last night.  They come once every six or so months and they are all variations on the same theme.  I have to go somewhere really important that can't be delayed and I have to do about fifteen really small things that may not seem significant on their own, but when you have to do all of them very quickly it gets nerve-wracking.  And of course, in these dreams, one of those small things goes completely wrong and all heck in the world breaks loose.

I think that's what's going on in my subconscious on Tuesdays when I'm worrying about teaching.  I'm paranoid that I'm going to forget one tiny thing, like forgetting to bring chalk for the board, and everything will go horribly, horribly wrong because of it.

I know this isn't logical.  I'm just telling you about my day.

Today is especially jittery because it's my first day of German class.  What do I wear to school?  What supplies do I bring?  Will they speak in English at all?  Will I sit in the front or the back?  Where do I buy my book?  Will the teacher forget her chalk and break out all heck in the world?

The deep, ponderous questions of the universe.

I'm going to go eat some stir fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a Dispatch to Headquarters! (Really, please do. We like comments!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...