Sunday, February 22, 2015

Roskilde and the Motherland

Sorø

There are three UNESCO World Heritage sites in Denmark.  One in Helsingoer, one in Jelling, and one in Roskilde.  Since we'd made it a point to try and see all the nearby UNESCO World Heritage sites there were in our home in Germany, we made a pact to to the same for Denmark and subsequently spent a day in the summer of 2013 traveling to Roskilde to see the cathedral where all the kings and queens of Denmark are buried as well as the viking ship museum.


But perhaps more memorable was how, on the way back home, we got off the train at the small town of Sorø - my mostly-matrilineal homeland (my grandmother's maternal grandfather's line comes from the area).  I'd always liked Denmark, from the first moment I saw the place, and felt a connection to it even before I knew for certain that I had a family connection.  Being able to walk around the old town and church at Sorø, that time in 2013, and later going to the nearby village of Munke Bjerby with my family in 2014, really solidified my attachment to this lovely country.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a Dispatch to Headquarters! (Really, please do. We like comments!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...