Monday, December 14, 2020

Bowl of Bacon and The Golden Rose


During our typical we-are-very-old-people-and-always-have-been evening wind-down of drinking a cup of tea (or, for tonight, glogg) and watching a couple episodes of Jeopardy, Paul's phone buzzed and he leaped (LEAPED!) off the couch to grab it.

"I think it may be the vaccination schedule!" (for his university)

"What? Already?"

"Yeah!  Maybe? I don't know.  I thought maybe..........  Oh....no.  No it was just a student email."

"oh."

"Yeah...  But maybe soon?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

Also tonight one of the Jeopardy categories was "Oregon" and another was "European Geography" so, we pretty much cleaned up.

Ansel basically ate a bowl of bacon for dinner tonight.  I didn't care - just wanted the little skinny kid to eat something.  I'm also worried about his tonsils - they're very large (not as bad as Hadrian's used to be, but still) and when he fell asleep on my lap tonight while we listened to Wind in the Willows, it almost seemed like he wasn't able to breathe fully.  Like he had to overwork to get enough air - like breathing through a straw.  And snoring.  I wonder if children can have sleep apnea, or if it can be tested somehow?  Little dude always has bags under his eyes.  

I just worry about him.  He's so little and wonderful.

Hadrian spent the afternoon drawing a castle for his favorite teacher, Miss K.  He told me it was named "The Golden Rose."  Which is a great name for a castle.  I'm just glad he didn't want to call it "EVIL DRAGON FORTRESS OF LAVA FIRE AND EVIL AND CANNONS" or similar.  Naming castles something like that in the afternoon never portends a nice, calm evening of snuggles.  "The Golden Rose" was a good sign.

During the book tonight, Paul got to a part where they mentioned eels.  Paul looked up and told Hadrian a bit of the story of the time he ordered Eels in Aspic at a restaurant in Lubeck, but didn't realize what it was.  Then he (and I!) had to eat it because we were so relatively poor at the time that we always took turns ordering only one dish to share when we ate out.  Hadrian whispered to me, "But what kind of eel was it?  Electric or Moray?"  This kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send a Dispatch to Headquarters! (Really, please do. We like comments!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...