Saturday, November 19, 2011

Stealth Emotional Attack

The view I had back toward Washington on the ferry to Canada a couple months ago.

Tonight we went to a concert of Handel's "Messiah" at the old Church of the Holy Spirit down the street here on nice, comfortable Borwinstrasse.  It was a beautiful, foggy evening with hazy streetlamps and slick cobblestone streets.  The tickets were cheap.  The place was packed.  The concert was amazing.

Then, right smack dab in the middle of the Hallelujah chorus--the part where the sopranos keep singing "King of Kiiiiiiings" higher and higher and higher-- I burst into an uncontrolled sob-fest.

I was barely keeping it together and barely keeping things to sniffle-level sound.  I didn't recover until halfway through the third movement.  Heck, I'm crying now just thinking about it!

And the strange thing was that it came out of nowhere--smack in the face with no warning at all!  I realized right then that the only reason I was crying so hard was because I finally knew how much I have been missing "the recognizable."

I recognized the words and the music and I knew exactly what was going to come next.  I knew the Hallelujah chorus--it was familiar--and I realized how deeply I've missed feeling like I knew exactly what was happening.

I realized how much effort I've been consciously and subconsciously putting into making my being here in Germany feel like "everything I freaking ever could have dreamed of dag nabbit and I'm gol darned grateful for every last bit of it and there will never ever be any reason to be sad about anything ever hey look now I'm on a train hey look now I'm eating pastries hey look chocolate!"

And I realized that I've been trying so, so very hard to be brave and happy and cheerful and funny every single minute of every single day (because everyone is thinking "Oh, I wish we lived in Europe" so I can't ever complain)--and I never let myself acknowledge the things I really do miss, or the days that I really do just feel "blah" or even sad.

So, I guess this is my first declaration of homesickness tonight:  I miss America.  I miss my family.  I miss being well-spoken in public (or spoken at all).  I miss being able to call the bank/phone company/rental manager and do things for myself instead of needing Paul to do everything (it feels so wrong to me, deeply wrong).  I miss Ranch Dressing and canned black beans.

Okay, so, there it is, world!  I'm acknowledging my feelings!  Now, I'm going to go get ready for bed and use my good-old American toothbrush, get in my American pajamas, sleep next to my American husband, and I'll wake up tomorrow in Germany.

Sometimes that might make me feel super sad--but usually I'm going to be alright or even awesome.  Life is the same that way, no matter what continent you live on.

But, I swear, I might have a breakdown right now if any of you start commenting with lyrics from "God Bless the USA"...

10 comments:

  1. It's okay to be homesick and admit it ;-) I'm proud of you for being honest with your emotions. I have no doubt that you will bloom wherever you are planted. Just make sure to mix sunshine in with the rain :-) Love you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been out of the country, so I...I don't know entirely what this feels like. But I do sympathize. It must be like missing Utah was like in Boston, times 20. Or MAYBE EVEN 21.

    And I agree with Rees--it's perfectly OK to admit things aren't as easy and super-wonderful-all-the-time as you'd like.

    You are a strong and resilient person. And I believe you'll be fine, even if you have moments (or even longer) of great homesickness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very well written expression of longing... I too love canned black beans! What's your address? I'm sending you some right now.

    Much love to you and Paul.

    Hans, Judy, Oskar, Shakes, Vitus and a bunch of little chickens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hans: not a chance. I don't even want to think about what a can of black beans would cost to ship from Kodiak Alaska to Germany. Also, I haven't given up hope on finding them here--I found canned kidney beans yesterday...getting closerrrr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beeeeeeeth: You are welcome to cut your international chops in Germany if you'd like. I miss you... Also, sometimes I think about Boston and I'm like, "What in the heck was that time? What a strange, surreal time." Is that just me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I know exactly how you feel! I have the greatest life ever and I chose it and I know this, but that doesn't stop me from missing my old life like crazy a lot of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Sara. You, of all people, probably have the best idea for what this feels like at times.

    Germany-Ex-Pat Support Group!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking about this, the part that is striking to me is how NORMAL it is -- like, if you didn't feel homesick and frustrated and tongue-tied and foreign, that wouldn't be normal! Then you would be like, an uberhuman sans emotion and attachment.

    On the language note, those immersion experiences impress and re-impress upon me 1) intense gratitude (and amazement) that I am able to communicate with native fluency in one language at all, even if I know it's going to be a while before I'm surrounded by fellow speakers again (and that said language happens to be the now-global one everyone wants to learn), and 2) increased compassion for non-English speakers in the US, who are most likely intelligent, well-spoken individuals in their native tongue but who look at you with terror when you ask them something in English.

    Anyway, good on you for saying it like it is. I hope you feel settled soon and that you have a language explosion wherein suddenly you can say something like, "Hey! You! Why the heck are all these carts stuck together? Don't you know that carts should be free?!" with perfect grammar and a near-native accent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dani: You speak truths. Especially on your #2, for real. I always felt compassion for non-native speakers, but now I think I'll actually have super-empathy.

    Also, "Warum zum Teufel sind all diese Wagen aneinander haften? Weißt du nicht, dass Wagen sollte frei sein?"--says google translate.

    I should memorize it and yell it to someone at the grocery store on my last day in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure Dad will be proud to see your sense of patriotism runs deep. I'm not sure if Talmadge and Jared could get through a meal containing vegetables without Ranch dressing.
    So, just remember, "You're not Alone!" Ask Paul if he remembers that song from our old tapes. He'll probably even be able to sing it for you and know I'm thinking of you as you laugh.
    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Send a Dispatch to Headquarters! (Really, please do. We like comments!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...